I think I understand profit margins. A business has an obligation to make a profit in order to stay in business and continue to serve its customers. But that means a fair profit, not one that takes advantage of customers. Very recently we were near victims of what I consider to be an obscene profit on a small, but important part of our primary embroidery machine.
We do all of our test stitch outs at Windstar Embroidery Designs on a Brother PR-600, purchased new from our local Brother dealer almost four years ago. The machine gets a lot of use and we determined that a new bobbin case was needed.
I called our Brother dealer and asked how long it would take to get the part and the price. I was told it usually takes about two weeks and my price would be $24.95 picked up at the store.
Even though the part is critical to the operation of the machine, that price just seemed pretty high to us.
As much as we try to support our area businesses it was time to get on the Internet to see if we could save a few dollars.
A quick search took me to AllStitch LLC in Baltimore. They sell a complete line of discount machine embroidery supplies for commercial and home embroiderers. You do not have to have a business license to purchase so it’s a great place for the hobbyist too.
The AllStitch price for the bobbin case? $4.99. Shipping to our part of Illinois is $8.23 for a total of $13.22. My savings is a substantial $11.73 and the part is delivered to my door.
But I didn’t order right away. I called our Brother dealer and asked them to check the price on that little bobbin case and to verify that we were talking apples and apples.
“Yep,” I was told after I described the part in detail, “that’s the part you need and the price is $24.95.”
“And that is for one bobbin case, right?” I asked.
“That’s right. Want us to order it for you today? You’ll have it two weeks!”
I said no, thank you and left it at that.
I think I understand the difference between fair and unfair profit margins. That’s why I ordered the part from AllStitch. And a few other supplies too while I was at it.
www.allstitch.net is a great place to shop, use them all the time
ReplyDelete